Making croissants is a bit like making puff pastry. Not so difficult, quite a lot of fun to make and a nice taste at the end...
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1/4 cup of cold milk
- 1 1/2 tbls unsalted butter soft
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of butter for the layer of butter for the pastry rolling
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Combine the flour yeast and salt.
- Add the milk and water gradually and beat using a dough hook if you have it.
- Knead a little and wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day roll out the dough and using the butter layer follow the puff pastry making style of folding, rolling and refrigerating. Repeat 3 times then refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut into triangles as below.
- Roll up each portion from large end to the point and lay out on a baking sheet.
- Apply egg wash and allow to stand for up to 2 hours. The croissants will rise.
- Bake on 200C for 15 minutes. Cool and ...
|The dough after several rolls and folds|
|Cut into triangles|
|Rolled out ready for cutting|
|Croissants before allowing to rise|