How's this for a nice warm dessert... No gym today for me, feeling fat after eating this one!! But it's one of my favorites...
Ingredients(for the apple crumble)
- 5 small apples, 550grams, core, peel and cut into quarters
- 2 tbs fine brown sugar.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g plain flour
- 115g unsalted butter
- 115g fine brown sugar
(for the custard)
- 1 x 200mL container whipping cream
- 150mL milk
- 50g castor sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven 180C (170C for fan-forced)
- Arrange the apple quarters on the bottom of an oven proof glass dish.
- mix the 2 tbs brown sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle atop the apples.
- Set in the fridge for a bit.
- In a medium bowl mix the 115g of sugar and flour.
- Cut in the butter like making a course meal.
- Sprinkle atop the apples and bake for 30 minutes until the apples bubble.
- While the apples cook make the custard.
- In a heavy based saucepan mix the cream, milk and 2 tsp sugar.
- Heat to a simmer and then turn the heat low.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the remainder of the sugar together until fluffy and pale.
- Add some of the warm milk to the eggs, continue whisking.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, add vanilla and stir on low heat until custard thickens (20-30 mins)
- When the apples are ready allow 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.